TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Taxes, was: NYC Transit Strike Midst Cold Weather and Christmas

Taxes, was: NYC Transit Strike Midst Cold Weather and Christmas

Danny Burstein (dannyb@panix.com)
Sun, 25 Dec 2005 04:14:11 UTC

In <telecom24.579.4@telecom-digest.org> sethb@panix.com (Seth
Breidbart) writes:

[ Responding to TELECOM Digest Editor regarding NYC's Mayor
Bloomberg's non-control of the State chartered transit system ]

> Then why can't he get the commuter tax back? (There used to be a NYC
> Income Tax for non-residents of the city who worked there, but the
> state turned it off. Turning it on to lower taxes paid by city
> residents who vote for mayor would help Bloomberg.)

If you really believe that letting NYC tap additional tax revenue
(from, in this case, non city residents) would lead to a corresponding
decrease in other taxes, I'd suggest you're demonstrating a very rosy
view of government finances.

obtelecom: There's an extra special "tax" on telephone services (wired
and wireless) that's applied to the dozen or so counties (that's NYC
and a hefty chunk of the surrounding area) supposedely earmarked for
the mass transit system. Note that I just spent a half hour going
through lots and lots of financial web pages and couldn't find the
actual figure ...

dannyb@panix.com

Go to Next message: John Smith: "Re: NYC Transit Strike Midst Cold Weather and Christmas"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Entire New York Times Available On-Line"
May be reply: Seth Breidbart: "Re: Taxes, was: NYC Transit Strike Midst Cold Weather and Christmas"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page