TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Taxes, was: NYC Transit Strike Midst Cold Weather and Christmas

Re: Taxes, was: NYC Transit Strike Midst Cold Weather and Christmas

Seth Breidbart (sethb@panix.com)
Wed, 28 Dec 2005 00:07:07 UTC

In article <telecom24.580.5@telecom-digest.org>, Danny Burstein
<dannyb@panix.com> wrote:

> In <telecom24.579.4@telecom-digest.org> sethb@panix.com (Seth
> Breidbart) writes:

> [ Responding to TELECOM Digest Editor regarding NYC's Mayor
> Bloomberg's non-control of the State chartered transit system ]

>> Then why can't he get the commuter tax back? (There used to be a NYC
>> Income Tax for non-residents of the city who worked there, but the
>> state turned it off. Turning it on to lower taxes paid by city
>> residents who vote for mayor would help Bloomberg.)

> If you really believe that letting NYC tap additional tax revenue
> (from, in this case, non city residents) would lead to a corresponding
> decrease in other taxes, I'd suggest you're demonstrating a very rosy
> view of government finances.

No, I believe he'd just have more to spend. But in either case, it's
clear Bloomberg _wants_ the commuter tax so the fact he doesn't have
it proves that NYS isn't controlled by him.

Seth

Go to Next message: Tim Gnatek: "Tech Trends in 2006"
Go to Previous message: Seth Breidbart: "Re: Cell Phone Extenders?"
May be in reply to: Danny Burstein: "Taxes, was: NYC Transit Strike Midst Cold Weather and Christmas"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page