TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Last Laugh! Police Had to Convince Lottery Winner it was Real

Re: Last Laugh! Police Had to Convince Lottery Winner it was Real

Barry Margolin (barmar@alum.mit.edu)
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 17:33:53 -0500

In article <telecom24.573.13@telecom-digest.org>, Reuters News Wire
<reuters@telecom-digest.org wrote:

> A lottery company had to call the police to convince an elderly German
> woman that she had hit the jackpot, police said Tuesday.

Most of the lottery mail is obviously a scam because they claim you
won a lottery that you never actually entered. If this woman won
something, she must have really purchased a lottery ticket, in which
case it's reasonable to assume that the jackpot is real.

Also, the scams ask the "winner" to pay some fee to secure their
winnings. A real lottery would not, so there's nothing to worry about
in those mails.

Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

Go to Next message: Associated Press News Wire: "Huge Waves, Flooding in Southern Calif"
Go to Previous message: Steve Sobol: "Re: Dumb Question About "Do Not Call""
May be in reply to: Reuters News Wire: "Last Laugh! Police Had to Convince Lottery Winner it was Real"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page