TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: When is TDMA Being Phased Out?

Re: When is TDMA Being Phased Out?

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
30 Nov 2005 07:24:37 -0800

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The word from Mike Alexander, Cingular
> Wireless customer service/sales manager here in Independence is that
> it will s-l-o-w-l-y disappear a tower at a time. I switched my
> personal phone from TDMA to GSM ....

Could someone describe what is "TDMA" and "GSM" in layman's terms? I
presume these are communication protocols and are not compatible with
each other. Is one analog?

Do other carriers (ie Verizon) use them or other protocols? Does
Verizon have any protocols that are going away?

I guess now there are three big cellular companies -- Verizon, Cingular,
and VoiceStream? Is Sprint still independent or did they merge?

I get the impression all three companies are actually a hodgepodge of
smaller companies they acquired and merged into along the way. That
means service quality of a particular carrier will vary greatly from
one part of the country to another, just as landline service varies
greatly. (In Verizon particularly which is made up of many different
companies).

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Sprint merged with Nextel recently, or
bought them out, one or the other. Nextel at present is totally
useless around this area in Kansas; however Sprint is a big thing. I
suppose the merger will bring Nextel around here soon. PAT]

Go to Next message: George Mitchell: "Re: JFK Assassination"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Verizon GTE Merger -- How Did it Go?"
May be in reply to: http://www.interpage.net: "When is TDMA Being Phased Out?"