TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: When is TDMA Being Phased Out?

When is TDMA Being Phased Out?

http://www.interpage.net (m3deshmukh@verizon.net)
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:20:22 GMT

Hello,

Does anyone have the schedule for when the different Cingular/ATT
markets are phasing out TDMA? Please let me know or where to find
that information.

Thanks,

Mayur Deshmukh
Interpage Network Services, Inc.
mayurXYZZTOP@interpage.net
[to email me, remove the CAPS]
http://www.interpage.net

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The word from Mike Alexander, Cingular
Wireless customer service/sales manager here in Independence is that
it will s-l-o-w-l-y disappear a tower at a time. I switched my
personal phone from TDMA to GSM just two weeks ago, when it got to
the point the 'bars' were not as high as they had been and more often
than not a call attempt had to be made two or three times before it
would go through. The phone was still _usable_ but it made me nervous
seeing only two or three bars on the left (signal reception) side of
the display, and after dialing and not hearing the ringing tone in
the usual one or two seconds I would look at the display and see a
message saying 'redialing'. He told me 'you can keep on using that
older phone as long as you want, but eventually it will be seeking a
signal from a tower in Caney or Coffeyville. I've got a nice new
Nokia 6010 you can have with a new contract if you want.' So I
decided to bite the bullet and go with it. He also pointed out that
'this area code 620 is eventually all going to be GSM and then for
a good signal if you have a prepaid phone the company will put you
out of Wichita (area 316). I also have a prepaid spare phone, Nokia
5165 now, and Cingular insisted _it_ had to be in the 316 area. There
was a time here, until two or three years ago that we were entirely
in 316, even for landlines. PAT]

Go to Next message: aadler@ctvi.com: "Re: What Happened to Amanda Voicemail Company?"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "Sony's Escalating "Spyware" Fiasco"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: When is TDMA Being Phased Out?"
May be reply: John Levine: "Re: When is TDMA Being Phased Out?"
May be reply: Jim Burks: "Re: When is TDMA Being Phased Out?"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: When is TDMA Being Phased Out?"
May be reply: John Levine: "Re: When is TDMA Being Phased Out?"
May be reply: Jim Burks: "Re: When is TDMA Being Phased Out?"
May be reply: Steve Sobol: "Re: When is TDMA Being Phased Out?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page