TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Holiday Observances Phone Rates (was Re: Kennedy)

Holiday Observances Phone Rates (was Re: Kennedy)

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
28 Nov 2005 12:39:31 -0800

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note:

> And do you remember when Memorial Day used to _always_ be May 30, no
> matter what day of the week it was? If it came on Sunday sometimes,
> then we kids in school felt 'cheated' because we did not get an
> extra holiday from school. But if it fell on Wednesday, our parents
> felt 'cheated' since it was impossible to drive any distance on
> holiday and get back home on the same day (so as to not miss next
> day's work or kid's school day, etc.) PAT]

Some years ago they passed a Monday holiday law, switching the date of
a number of national holidays so they would always be on a Monday,
creating a three day weekend. That includes Martin Luther King Day,
Washington's Birthday, Memorial Day, and Columbus Day. Veteran's Day,
Independence Day, Christmas, and New Years remain observed on their
actual day. Thanksgiving and Labor Day were already on day of week.

Roughly speaking, workers have seen a gradual cutback in the number of
holidays they get a day off from work. There were always the big
5--NY, Memorial, Independence, Labor, Thanksgiving, and Christmas,
that everyone got off (except critical personnel). Over time, some
employers began to give off Washington's birthday, King's birthday and
Veteran's Day in addition. More generous employers threw in Columbus
Day and Good Friday.

Historically, if a major holiday fell on the weekend, the nearest
Monday or Friday would be given off.

Nowadays employers seem a lot tighter and grant only the major day
off. Many retailers are open on holidays, even Thanksgiving,
Christmas, and New Years, and expect people to work.

The phone company would grant weekend rate reductions on certain major
holidays. However, when a day was celebrated on an alternate day
(such as everything being closed on Monday July 5 in celebration of
Independence Day instead of on Sunday 7/4), the phone company did not
give discounts on the alternate day, weekday rates were charged which
could be steep.

Today, I've discovered cell phone companies are very tricky when it
comes to giving weekend rates during holidays. My own plan is
supposed to do that, but I've learned that in practice they don't and
I must call and complain if I make a day call on a major holiday
(because my day rate is very steep I have to be watch). I notice
today's ads have no asterisk on weekends denoting what holidays
constitute weekend rates, if any.

Go to Next message: Jennifer C. Kerr: "FCC May Block Vonage From Accepting New Customers"
Go to Previous message: Anthony Bellanga: "Re: JFK Assassination"
May be reply: Seth Breidbart: "Re: Holiday Observances Phone Rates (was Re: Kennedy)"
May be reply: Anthony Bellanga: "Re: Holiday Observances Phone Rates (was Re: Kennedy)"
May be reply: Goudreau_Bob@notchur.biz: "Re: Holiday Observances Phone Rates (was Re: Kennedy)"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Holiday Observances Phone Rates (was Re: Kennedy)"
May be reply: Seth Breidbart: "Re: Holiday Observances Phone Rates (was Re: Kennedy)"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page