TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Holiday Observances Phone Rates (was Re: Kennedy)

Re: Holiday Observances Phone Rates (was Re: Kennedy)

Goudreau_Bob@notchur.biz
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 16:27:43 -0500

[PAT, please obscure my email address as usual. Thanks.]

Anthony Bellanga wrote:

> Presidents' Day was originally George Washington's Birthday, which
> *was* the ONLY Federal Holiday to honor a *specific* individual by
> *NAME*.

What about Columbus Day? It became a federal holiday in the 1960s,
and it honors a specific individual by (one form of his) name.

> It was "morphed" into Presidents' Day sometime in the 1980s
> (IIRC), to honor Lincoln (also with a February Birthday) and "all" of
> the presidents of the US. So, after a while, even the Father of Our
> Country lost out on the day *specifically* dedicated to him, while at
> about the same time this mlk gets a federal holiday by name.

The "Presidents' Day" claim is incorrect. The federal holiday has
never been known by that name and is still "Washington's Birthday".
See http://www.snopes.com/holidays/presidents/presidents.asp for
details.

Bob Goudreau
Cary, NC

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Holiday Observances Phone Rates (was Re: Kennedy)"
Go to Previous message: USTelecom DailyLead : "Juniper Snags IPv6 Deal in China"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Holiday Observances Phone Rates (was Re: Kennedy)"