TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Replacement for Siemens Gigaset

Re: Replacement for Siemens Gigaset

Robert Bonomi (bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com)
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 14:45:32 -0000

CharlesH <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote:

> Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

>> I would stay away from the 900Mhz phones for a few reasons. First,
>> the only multi-line phones available in 900Mhz are notoriously
>> unreliable. Second, eavesdropping on many 900Mhz phones, even modern
>> ones, is trivial.

> How does one eavesdrop on a Digital Spread Spectrum (DSS) 900MHz
> cordless phone? I would have thought that with the spreading code
> being changed every time the phone is put into the base, they would be
> essentially uncrackable, like CDMA cell phones.

The phone and the base station have to negotiate the spreading code
used for each session. If you can eavesdrop on that negotiation, you
_can_ predict the frequency hops, rendering it 'trivial' to track as a
third-party listener.

Go to Next message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: If You Would Like to Get Away From ICANN Oversight and Registrars"
Go to Previous message: Steve Sobol: "Re: Comcast, Verizon Wage Licensing War/Towns Caught Cable Crossfire"
May be in reply to: rlittle@thetasoft.com: "Replacement for Siemens Gigaset"