TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Replacement for Siemens Gigaset

Re: Replacement for Siemens Gigaset

DevilsPGD (spamsucks@crazyhat.net)
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:11:07 -0700

In message <telecom24.518.13@telecom-digest.org>
bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

> In article <telecom24.517.15@telecom-digest.org>,
> CharlesH <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote:

>> Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

>>> I would stay away from the 900Mhz phones for a few reasons. First,
>>> the only multi-line phones available in 900Mhz are notoriously
>>> unreliable. Second, eavesdropping on many 900Mhz phones, even modern
>>> ones, is trivial.

>> How does one eavesdrop on a Digital Spread Spectrum (DSS) 900MHz
>> cordless phone? I would have thought that with the spreading code
>> being changed every time the phone is put into the base, they would be
>> essentially uncrackable, like CDMA cell phones.

> The phone and the base station have to negotiate the spreading code
> used for each session. If you can eavesdrop on that negotiation, you
> _can_ predict the frequency hops, rendering it 'trivial' to track as a
> third-party listener.

Sure, except that the negotiation is typically performed by the base
and handset via a wired connection OR at extremely low power (since it
only happens when they're physically connected)

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: "Soft Dial Tone" on Uuused lines"
Go to Previous message: beavis: "Re: Sony BMG "Service Pack 2a""
May be in reply to: rlittle@thetasoft.com: "Replacement for Siemens Gigaset"