TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: MIT's 5ESS: (was: NN0 Central Office Codes)

Re: MIT's 5ESS: (was: NN0 Central Office Codes)

Joe Morris (jcmorris@mitre.org)
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 13:56:43 UTC

wollman@khavrinen.csail.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman) writes:

> Joe Morris <jcmorris@mitre.org> wrote:

>> I'm having trouble imagining today's MIT students being able to resist
>> the challenge of hacking into the switch and making it do
>> "interesting" things.

> But don't forget that hacking ethics would prevent them from doing
> anything so interesting as to have an impact on public safety.

Add the qualifier "deliberately" and I'll agree. I suspect,however,
that the majority of one-time undergraduates who have been out of
college and in the real world for a few years hope that the world at
large never discovers some of the hare-brained schemes they cooked up
while at school.

Recall the Tom Lehrer song on the subject of college life ...

Bright college days,
Oh carefree days that fly;
To thee we sing,
With our glasses raised on high;

Let's drink a toast,
As each of us recalls,
Ivy-covered professors,
In ivy-covered halls.

Turn on the spigot,
Pour the beer and swig it,
And gaudemus igit,
I-tur.

Joe Morris

Go to Next message: John Levine: "Re: Online Small-Scale POSTAL Mailing Firms?"
Go to Previous message: Garrett Wollman: "Re: MIT's 5ESS: (was: NN0 Central Office Codes)"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page