TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: MIT's 5ESS: (was: NN0 Central Office Codes)

Re: MIT's 5ESS: (was: NN0 Central Office Codes)

Diamond Dave (dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.DOTcom)
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 21:54:21 -0500

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 19:17:20 UTC, Joe Morris <jcmorris@mitre.org>
wrote:

> Thread drift question: how common are successful hacking (old
> definition of the word "hack") attempts against MIT's 5ESS? When I
> was at the 'tute long ago it had a SxS (in building 10 IIRC) with the
> main number at UN4-6900, and one of the popular entertainments among
> the student body was trying to find a live wire pair from which one
> could dial "9" to make an outside call [*]. Occasionally someone
> would manage to get into the switchroom and do a bit of rewiring,
> although I don't recall ever hearing of any damage being done other
> than a few unauthorized LD calls. (But one of the hackers' exploits
> in 1961 or so was described in an article in Newsweek ... not for his
> "informal" rewiring jobs, but for his use of what today is called
> "social engineering" to make an international call from a campus-only
> line.)

Most are probably worrying about hacking the campus computer system to
change their grades. Most also probably have cell phones and could
care or less about landlines.

For landline service, most colleges use outside services to handle
their LD service. Penn State, for example, uses AT&T ACUS (forget what
the acromym stands for) and all the LD is handled via AT&T's OSPS
operator services & calling card platform (Operator Services Position
Station). Pretty hard to hack. Not impossible, but not simple either.

Dave

Go to Next message: J Kelly: "Re: Infone to Shut Down"
Go to Previous message: Garrett Wollman: "Re: MIT's 5ESS: (was: NN0 Central Office Codes)"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page