TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Infone to Shut Down

Re: Infone to Shut Down

J Kelly (jkelly@newsguy.com)
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 21:48:20 -0600

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 00:17:06 -0700, DevilsPGD <spamsucks@crazyhat.net>
wrote:

> In message <telecom24.513.6@telecom-digest.org> J Kelly
> <jkelly@newsguy.com> wrote:

>> I remember a couple years back some posts about Infone, the Metro One
>> "teleconcierge" service. I got an email today from Infone telling me
>> their service will be closing up shop on 12/31/05. I used it a few
>> times and was quite pleased with the service. I hate to see it go,
>> but I guess they only managed to attract about 83,000 subs after
>> spending $70 million to promote the service. Not a real money maker.

> I signed up, but I never bothered to use it, I've just never made a
> 411 call either. The rest of their features looked interesting, but
> not all that useful since it wouldn't save much time.

> Sure I could call Infone and have them make a reservation for me, but
> I could just call and do it myself in the same amount of time.

So true. I used them a handful of times from my cell mainly because
it was cheaper than using US Cellular's 411 which costs "only" $1.50.
USCC makes it out like they are doing me a favor by only charging a
buck fifty.

Go to Next message: Fred Atkinson: "Delayed Flight"
Go to Previous message: Diamond Dave: "Re: MIT's 5ESS: (was: NN0 Central Office Codes)"
May be in reply to: J Kelly: "Infone to Shut Down"