TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: "Soft Dial Tone" on Uuused lines

"Soft Dial Tone" on Uuused lines

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
10 Nov 2005 06:56:47 -0800

Some other posters mentioned that an unused land phone line may still
offer dial tone to provide for emergency 911 service. Is this a
recent offering?

The phone boxes within my apt have a forest of wires, it appears about
six pairs. It's been a while since I tested them, but other than the
ones I use the lines are dead. They may not be physically connected
within the master jct box outside.

Cell phones purchased at a flea market have that capability, I believe
that was mandated by law a few years ago. I keep such a phone in my
car glove box (with an power adapter) in case of emergency since I
don't carry my real cell with me that often.

Go to Next message: USTelecom dailyLead: "Yahoo! Drops Bid For AOL Stake"
Go to Previous message: John R. Covert: "Telephone History Enquiry: Earliest Pre-Pay Calls"
May be reply: Michael Chance: "Re: "Soft Dial Tone" on Uuused lines"
May be reply: Gerard Bok: "Re: "Soft Dial Tone" on Uuused lines"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: "Soft Dial Tone" on Uuused lines"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page