TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Telephone History Enquiry: Earliest Pre-Pay Calls

Telephone History Enquiry: Earliest Pre-Pay Calls

John R. Covert (nospamtd@covert.org)
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 09:38:54 EST

Telephone History Buffs:

I'm looking for information on early pre-pay systems that did not
require special telephones. To be relevant to my search, the pre-pay
system would need to:

1. Have been implemented before 1987.
2. Have documentation that we could find today.
3. Not require special telephone stations.

An example of a system which might meet these requirements would be a
company which would provide telephone calls for me on the basis of my
depositing money into an account with them; I would then call their
telephone number and they would then extend calls for me only until
that credit was used up; terminating the call when the there was no
more money, and requiring me to replenish my account before further
calls could be made.

Yes, this is common today with the plethora of pre-pay calling cards.
I'm looking for the first instance of such a thing, even if fully
manual in terms of operation. To be relevant, it must have been in
use (and verifiably so) prior to 1987.

My search of the archives so far has not returned anything; we weren't
talking about such things in the early 1980s. Back then we thought
that the introduction by the Bell System of the first dial-it-yourself
calling card system in early 1982 was cool (ref my own article in the
digest 21 Jan 1982 1035). Prepay doesn't seem to have been needed
back then since almost anyone could get the pay-when-the-bill-comes
type of calling card. People must have been more obvious, or more of
the cost of fraud was built into the cost we all paid for calls. And
resellers of telephone service were few and far between.

Regards/john

TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: For those readers who may have missed
the issue of the Digest from almost 24 years ago -- January 21, 1982 --
the pertinent message from John Covert, another long time, charter
subscriber to this Digest, is excerpted here. Prior to using '@' as
the middle character in our email addresses and using a domain suffix
such as '.org' or '.com' we simply concluded with the site name. _Do
not_ use the address shown below to reach Mr. Covert now. PAT]