TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Old Chicago Numbering

Re: Old Chicago Numbering

Joseph (JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com)
Tue, 01 Nov 2005 18:50:38 -0800

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 18:43:17 -0500, Tony P.
<kd1s.nospam@nospam.cox.nosapm.net> wrote:

> I do recall that they really stretched out the cutovers. My
> grandparents house in Providence still had the old style call progress
> tones indicating they were still on the Panel until 1975 or so. The CO
> for most of Providence is a huge building -- at least 14 floors that
> were once filled with switching gear. Now it's just the 4th floor. The
> rest of the building is offices.

I was in Providence in 1978 and my recollection is that they had mixed
ESS, panel and #1XB all working right next to each other. Another
interesting thing about Providence is evidently Providence was a 2L 4N
city originally since many of the exchanges in Providence have a one
after them like PLantations 1, ELmhurst 1 and so on.

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:17:24 -0800, Jim Stewart <jstewart@jkmicro.com>
wrote:

> Anyone traveling on Interstate 90 through Washington might be
> interested in stopping at the telephone museum in Cle Elum. It's in
> the orginal manual exchange building and it was the labor of one local
> woman to preserve as much of the manual system and equipment as
> possible.

Cle Elum also did a stand in for Cicely, Alaska in the CBS series
Northern Exposure!

Go to Next message: William Warren: "Re: Recorded Call From Law Office?"
Go to Previous message: jeremyeastburn@gmail.com: "Verizon FIOS, DSL, and Possible Cancellation Fees"
May be in reply to: Paul Coxwell: "Old Chicago Numbering"