TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Los Angeles Numbering, 1940s

Re: Los Angeles Numbering, 1940s

Steven Lichter (shlichter@diespammers.com)
Sun, 30 Oct 2005 23:46:56 GMT

Tim@Backhome.org wrote:

> Paul Coxwell wrote:

>> Phone numbers were used several times, which I am assuming were of the
>> 2L-4N format -- They were given as name plus four digits and I believe
>> from previous discussions here that Los Angeles never used 3L-4N
>> numbering.

> I don't know about previous discussion here, but Los Angeles indeed
> progressed from 2L-4N to 3L-4N.

> Downtown Los Angeles, for example, was the MAdison Exchange. I remember
> lots of very public numbers in that exchange that were MA 1234 (for
> example) then became MA 5 1234, and so forth.

> Same for HOllywood.

The San Fernado Valley was the same, West Valley had DIamond and Van
Nuys had STate, California Water Telephone had EMpire. There were
some others, but they don't come to mind right now. It was the early
60's when the changes were made. I started with CWT/GTE in 1967 and
they were already changed and using 48/53 Full Satt.

The only good spammer is a dead one!! Have you hunted one down today?
(c) 2005 I Kill Spammers, Inc. A Rot in Hell Co.

Go to Next message: Wesrock@aol.com: "Re: Phone Shown in 'Capote' / RJ Connector"
Go to Previous message: Joseph: "Re: Are There Prepaid Cellular Plans That Use Existing Phones?"
May be in reply to: Paul Coxwell: "Los Angeles Numbering, 1940s"