TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Los Angeles Numbering, 1940s

Re: Los Angeles Numbering, 1940s

Tim@Backhome.org
Sat, 29 Oct 2005 16:43:40 -0700

Paul Coxwell wrote:

> Phone numbers were used several times, which I am assuming were of the
> 2L-4N format -- They were given as name plus four digits and I believe
> from previous discussions here that Los Angeles never used 3L-4N
> numbering.

I don't know about previous discussion here, but Los Angeles indeed
progressed from 2L-4N to 3L-4N.

Downtown Los Angeles, for example, was the MAdison Exchange. I remember
lots of very public numbers in that exchange that were MA 1234 (for
example) then became MA 5 1234, and so forth.

Same for HOllywood.

Go to Next message: BobT: "Re: Old Chicago Numbering"
Go to Previous message: David Josephson: "WU History"
May be in reply to: Paul Coxwell: "Los Angeles Numbering, 1940s"