TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Caller ID TIME For Setting Time on Regular Pots Analog Phones

Caller ID TIME For Setting Time on Regular Pots Analog Phones

pmettes@gmail.com
24 Oct 2005 17:16:42 -0700

Where does the time come from that analog handsets use to set their
clock? My company's time is off by 2 min and I can verify that its
getting the time from somewhere but where?

I can prove it is getting the time from somewhere by setting it 1 hour
off and calling it with my cell phone, and watching it get set again,
problem is, its off by 2 min.

- Thanks

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The time comes from a clock in the
central office serving the phone. That two minutes difference most
likely is an accumulation of a few seconds here and there over the
several months since daylight time went into effect. Our time of day
here comes from the Southwestern Bell central office in Independence
which tends to 'drift' a little bit regularly. When Standard Time
returns in the next week or so, the clock setting will get set to
almost perfect. I say 'almost' because your caller ID device is not
intended as any sort of time standard. PAT]

Go to Next message: Bob Hofkin: "Sneaky Cingular Wireless"
Go to Previous message: Robert Weller: "Wilma Causing Network-Wide Outages With Verio-Hosts"
May be reply: Steven Lichter: "Re: Caller ID TIME For Setting Time on Regular Pots Analog Phones"
May be reply: George Berger: "Re: Caller ID TIME For Setting Time on Regular Pots Analog Phones"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page