TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Recorded Weather Forecast for New York City?

Re: Recorded Weather Forecast for New York City?

Paul Coxwell (paulcoxwell@tiscali.co.uk)
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 12:11:04 +0100

>> They should work fine if you're calling from the NYC area. The
>> 212-976 and 914-976 prefixes are pay per call, so long distance
>> carriers won't connect to them. The last time I called (a long time
>> ago) the charge was a quarter.

> I'm pretty sure I called in from outside the NYC area via long
> distance and got through, despite being 976. Perhaps my LD carrier
> won't do it. However, I note that the AAA book no longer lists the
> number though it did before.

It seems to be something of a lottery depending upon the long-distance
carrier concerned.

When I called (212) 976-2828 over the weekend from here in England it
worked fine via my usual carrier (Call-1899). I know they route
different ways on weekdays and at different times of day to get the
cheap rates, but trying again this morning (Monday) has given curious
results.

There is a much longer initial delay before connection, then an
intercept from the U.S. end: "The number you are trying to reach
cannot be dialed from the phone you are using. If you feel you have
reached this recording in error.... " etc.. The recording ID is
"Eureka (sp?) Info Highway, zero zero eight."

However ... At the end of the recording instead of a reorder or
disconnect there's a few more seconds delay, then it rings and
connects to the number anyway!

Dialing directly via BT (which will hand the call off randomly to
AT&T, Sprint, MCI, etc.) seems to connect immediately every time.

-Paul.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Here in the USA -- at least in Kansas
-- routing calls to any area-976-xxxx via MCI (unless it happens to
be one they, themselves own/operate) brings back an intercept saying,
"at the present time, MCI does not connect to 976 numbers". PAT]

Go to Next message: Scott Dorsey: "Re: 14.4 Runs Faster Than 56k Modem. Why?"
Go to Previous message: Cellular-News: "Cellular-News for Monday 17th October 2005"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Recorded Weather Forecast for New York City?"