TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: United States Says No! Internet is Ours!

Re: United States Says No! Internet is Ours!

John McHarry (jmcharry@comcast.net)
Fri, 07 Oct 2005 02:50:23 GMT

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 14:39:32 +0000, Kenneth P. Stox wrote:

> Am I the only one who is ROFLMAO about this? There is nothing
> preventing other nations and/or organizations from setting up their
> own root servers. It amazes me how much press this issue has gotten
> recently.

I think the problem with doing that is that the root servers hold a
database of top level domain servers. It doesn't change rapidly, but
it does change. Unless you could get a feed of the official file from
IANA, or a domain transfer (dump of the database) from one of the root
servers, you would slowly lose connectivity. If you did get either
sort of connectivity, I guess it wouldn't be that hard to to add or
subtract what you wanted from the official TLD list.

I think the real complaint is that IANA derives its authority from a
$0 contract with the US Department of Commerce, which, under certain
conditions, can veto changes in the database. ICANN and IETF are
probably also similarly tainted. Would we trust the British, or the
wily Canadians, with similar control over our vital infrastructure? I
think not.

We have had what are now called ITU-T and ITU-R for decades with
everyone being more or less comfortable. I see no particular harm in
an ITU-I, with the same bunch of propeller heads doing much the same
thing as they are doing now.

Go to Next message: Dan: "Re: Disaster Recovery in 1871"
Go to Previous message: Steve Sobol: "Re: United States Says No! Internet is Ours!"
May be in reply to: Bradley S. Klapper: "United States Says No! Internet is Ours!"