TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: United States Says No! Internet is Ours!

Re: United States Says No! Internet is Ours!

Steve Sobol (sjsobol@JustThe.net)
Thu, 06 Oct 2005 19:41:48 -0700

Kenneth P. Stox wrote:

> Am I the only one who is ROFLMAO about this? There is nothing
> preventing other nations and/or organizations from setting up their
> own root servers

Except the fact that many Internet users' computers won't even
recognize them. Nameservers are hard-wired to look up TLDs and SLDs
using specific root servers, and for them to use other root servers
you're going to have to have a huge number of ISPs, etc., change
etheir NS configurations.

> It amazes me how much press this issue has gotten recently.

It shouldn't.

Company website: http://JustThe.net/
E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307

Go to Next message: John McHarry: "Re: United States Says No! Internet is Ours!"
Go to Previous message: John Levine: "Re: United States Says No! Internet is Ours!"
May be in reply to: Bradley S. Klapper: "United States Says No! Internet is Ours!"