TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Age Discrimination by Google; Old People Need Not Apply for Work

Re: Age Discrimination by Google; Old People Need Not Apply for Work

Barry Margolin (barmar@alum.mit.edu)
Sat, 01 Oct 2005 20:23:00 -0400

Associated Press News Wire <ap@telecom-digest.org> wrote:

> Google Prevails in Age Discrimination Suit

> A California judge has sided with Google Inc. in an age discrimination
> lawsuit filed by a former manager who alleged the online search engine
> leader had fired him because he didn't fit in with the company's
> youthful culture.

What's with the clearly biased subject line of the posting? The
article says that the court found that Google does *not* practice age
discrimination. How does that translate into "Old People Need Not
Apply"?

Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I guess not everyone agrees with the
judge's decision in that ruling, particularly when the man's
supervisor _did_ make the statement (to the terminated employee) "You
do not fit in the youthful culture here at Google." PAT]

Go to Next message: ptownson: "Help Needed with DHCP on Remote Laptop"
Go to Previous message: Henry: "Re: State of the Internet, 2005"
May be in reply to: Associated Press News Wire: "Age Discrimination by Google; Old People Need Not Apply for Work"