TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Why is VOIP Getting Hot Now?

Re: Why is VOIP Getting Hot Now?

harold@hallikainen.com
29 Sep 2005 07:53:55 -0700

> In my case it was $88 a month to Verizon vs. $27 a month to
> Vonage. Big difference. It's the only thing that hasn't inflated in
> the last year or two.

Of course, Vonage does not have to pay for the local loop, so there's
some savings there. How much are you paying for "last mile"
connectivity (cable modem or DSL or whatever)? I'm currently paying
Verizon about $25 per month for local dialtone. I'm paying about $3
per month in long distance to another company (about 5 cents per
minute, probably much of that is compensation to the terminating
carrier). I'm paying $70 per month to cyberonic.com for DSL (6Mbps per
second AND they let me run my own servers). I pay $0 per month to
http://www.sipphone.com . I also pay about 1 or 2 cents a minute to
them for calls into the PSTN. SIP calls (within siphone, to FWD,
Google, etc.) are free. I use http://www.ipkall.com to get a POTS
number on SIP for free (though the number is in Washington).

There certainly are LOTS of options.

Harold

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Can't Trust Spyware Protection?"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "Skype Signals Online Video Plan"
May be in reply to: John: "Why is VOIP Getting Hot Now?"