TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Oakland Calif Conversion From 6 to 7 Digit Dialing?

Re: Oakland Calif Conversion From 6 to 7 Digit Dialing?

harold@hallikainen.com
28 Sep 2005 08:25:18 -0700

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> In reading a book about the Key System railway, older schedules had a
> six-digit phone number (2L-4N) while newer ones had seven-digits
> (2L-5N).

> Would anyone know when Oakland converted?

> Also, was six digit dialing (2L-4N) common in a lot of places? I
> though most city dial offices were 5 digit for smaller cities and 7
> digit (3L-4N) for larger cities. The seven digits were used as part
> of the panel installation for cities expecting growth and to provide
> for automatic integrated dialing to/from suburban areas as well.

I used to ride the Key System railway. I remember when the SF Bay
Bridge ran the trains and trucks on the bottom level and cars on the
top level. At that time, I lived in Kensington. My home phone number
was LAndscape 6-5520. My father's work number in Berkeley was LAndscape
4-1757. So, in the mid-1950s, I think the SF bay area was pretty much
all 7 digit.

Harold

Go to Next message: Joseph: "Re: Why is VOIP Getting Hot Now?"
Go to Previous message: Joseph: "Re: Oakland Calif Conversion From 6 to 7 Digit Dialing?"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Oakland Calif Conversion From 6 to 7 Digit Dialing?"