TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: You Need a New Computer

You Need a New Computer

Fritz Messere (messere@oswego.edu)
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:41:05 -0400

Pat:

The explorer thing has been going on for some time.

Time to look at a MAC ... better operating system and more fun too.

Fritz Messere
Communication Studies Department
Chair and Professor of Broadcasting and Telecommunications
State University of New York at Oswego
(office) 315.312.2357 (fax) 315.312.5658
http://www.oswego.edu/~messere

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: If anyone has an older Apple MACintosh,
I'd not mind giving that a try and see where I could get with it. The
other thing I have considered -- but have not yet been brave enough to
try is to go with Linux on the laptop. You see, on my larger desktop
computer I have Red Hat Linux (version 7 something) on a partition;
when I boot the larger machine, it defaults to Linux _unless_ I tell
it to go to Win 2000 instead. I'd not mind going entirely with Linux
if I were assured I could get some of my software working correctly. I
do NOT need chat windows and all that; but I do need to have X-Windows
working correctly. Ditto with any MAC, which would also be a new
experience for me. I'd like to be able to get a couple cameras working
with no hassles, something similar to to XWindows, and the network
configurations correct, etc. And I have seen a couple commercials on
television for Dell, with desktop prices of around $499, but I know
those would most likely be Win XP, which is okay, I suppose. But with
Dell, the new laptops seem to cost more. Good ideas, in any case. If
anyone wants to contribute to a 'computer fund' please remember the
PayPal account: editor@telecom-digest.org , or if you have some
older machine you no longer want donations will also be gratefully
accepted. PAT]

Go to Next message: Monty Solomon: "Broadband to Rule the TV waves"
Go to Previous message: Ed Clarke: "Re: When it Rains, it Pours ...."
May be reply: Tony P.: "Re: You Need a New Computer"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page