TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: When it Rains, it Pours ....

Re: When it Rains, it Pours ....

David L (davlindi@hotmail.com)
18 Sep 2005 01:25:54 -0700

If you let us know how to find a Paypal account for "new computer"
perhaps a few donations would help you get closer to the goal of a new
laptop. I'd ship in a little.

We have not been in contact before, but I read and post to your
newsgroup on occaision. Cheaper and more fun than a subscription to
Telco/wireless news!

Anyway, read about your computer problems and it was funny ... I'm on
my very first computer (used Webtv before) and no matter how
experienced one is, there always seems to be problems just beyond
one's abilities. I think it's time to get a new computer ... then all
your problems will go away:) Well, the old one's anyway.

I'd chip in a little. Think you should post a little note to the group,
for a small donation for a computer fund. Or big ... big donations are
good too:)

Paypal would be easy for me. What's your account name?

Regards,

Dave Lind
greenjeensus@yahoo.com

TELECOM Digest Editor wrote:

> All my equipment here is rapidly disintegrating ... both working laptps are
> now gone. I cannot get either of them up and running. The hard drive
> totally went out on one, and the other one as of Saturday night started
> giving this message:

> Native Audio Initialization Error
> The Wave Task Manager (nspmm.dll) is not available.
> Wave Services Will be Disabled.

> Then a click box with the single option OK.

> I click 'OK' then a second error message comes up immediatly following

> EXPLORER: This program has performed an illegal
> operation and will be shut down. If the problem
> persists, contact the program vendor.

> There is a choice of OK or 'Details' and 'details' gives me a hex dump.
> 'OK' on the other hand is accepted but the desktop never comes up, and none
> of the keyboard works any further at that point ... ever ...

> This is a very old IBM Think Pad model 770-ED, probably from 1994-95.

> I have tried to re-install Win 98 SE but have been unable to figure
> out how to get the BIOS to look at and accept the CD drive rather than
> the hard drive. I do start up with F1 and get the BIOS screen, and
> attempt to put the CD as the first choice, but it does not accept
> that; and continues to attempt to load from the hard drive.

> I was able to google 'nspmm.dll' and have found out _how_ to get rid
> of the Intel thing which came built in this old Think Pad, but since
> no Win 98 desktop ever comes up, I cannot get to the Device Manager to
> get rid of the Intel thing.

> Any help or advice gratefully accepted, and if _anyone_ has a slightly
> older, used laptop they would be willing to donate to the Digest (or
> sell me at a reasonable price, please let me know.

> PAT

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Thanks for the offer of help, Dave. The
PayPal account is 'editor@telecom-digest.org' for you or anyone who
wishes to contribute to the 'computer fund'. PAT]

Go to Next message: Ed Clarke: "Re: When it Rains, it Pours ...."
Go to Previous message: William Warren: "Re: Alternatives to LEC Voicemail"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page