TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Back to the Future in 845-268 Land

Re: Back to the Future in 845-268 Land

Paul Coxwell (paulcoxwell@tiscali.co.uk)
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 21:07:45 +0100

> I do know that when you get a busy signal, as often as not the signal
> you hear is generated by the switch at your end and the circuit is
> dropped as soon as the remote switch can tell your switch to give you
> a busy. (This is why calls to Europe produce US busy signals rather
> than the local European busy signal.)

And vice versa. First time I called to the U.S. and got a British
busy signal it really made me sit up and take notice. Getting an EET
(equipment engaged tone) from the U.K. end when all overseas trunks
were busy was quite normal in the past, but not a regular busy tone.

The same arrangement appears to be used for spare numbers on some
circuits now -- Instead of the North American recording we get dumped
to our standard local recording ("The number you have dialed has not
been recognized."). It's rather off-putting, because one is never
quite sure whether the call actually made it across the Atlantic or
whether a BT switch has not been programmed with a new area code and
is rejecting the call at this end (which results in the same
recording).

Fortunately, this implementation is still fairly unusual, and
redialing immediately will often route a different way and give an
American recording followed by reorder instead, which is rather more
comforting.. It also seems to be very rare to get this digital
signaling followed by a U.K. tone/recording when using many of the
alternate carriers.

-Paul.

Go to Next message: Isaiah Beard: "Re: Back to the Future in 845-268 Land"
Go to Previous message: Paul Coxwell: "Re: How a Telephone Works"
May be in reply to: Steve Stone: "Back to the Future in 845-268 Land"