TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Back to the Future in 845-268 Land

Back to the Future in 845-268 Land

Steve Stone (spfleck@citlink.net)
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:57:12 GMT

I placed a call from my cellphone to my Mom in Congers, Rockland
County, NY. I got a busy signal, not unusual because she is always on
the phone. What was unusual was the busy signal sounded like what I
remembered hearing as a kid in the 1960's from my mom's house when
they used mechanical switching rather than ESS.

I tried it a few more times and at one point even came up with a
1960's style ring tone with no answer. Is it possible the old gear is
still in the little brick telco building by Rockland Lake and taking
overload calls ?

845-268-xxxx.

A definite blast from the past.

Steve

Go to Next message: TELECOM Digest Editor: "Employment Opportunity: Desktop Coordinator/Network Admin"
Go to Previous message: USTelecom dailyLead: "Fiber on the Comeback Trail"
May be reply: Steven Lichter: "Re: Back to the Future in 845-268 Land"
May be reply: John Levine: "Re: Back to the Future in 845-268 Land"
May be reply: Paul Coxwell: "Re: Back to the Future in 845-268 Land"
May be reply: Isaiah Beard: "Re: Back to the Future in 845-268 Land"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page