TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Flat Rate Water, was: Verizon Complaints About EVDO

Re: Flat Rate Water, was: Verizon Complaints About EVDO

Robert Bonomi (bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com)
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:38:43 -0000

In article <telecom24.416.4@telecom-digest.org>, Danny Burstein
<dannyb@panix.com> wrote:

> In <telecom24.415.12@telecom-digest.org> John L. Shelton
> <john@jshelton.com> writes:

>> The moral issue is: whether an "unlimited" service sold to an
>> individual can be shared with others. Past history suggests "no." We
>> don't share our unlimited local phone lines with the neighborhood, nor
>> our cable TV. We don't rent one trash pickup in the nbhd and tell
>> everyone to bring their trash on over to one house for pickup. We
>> don't jam everyone possible into a car at the drive-in theatre in an
>> effort to avoid paying for extra cars. In places with unmetered water
>> (like NYC), we don't extend hoses to our neighbors so they don't have
>> to pay for a basic water hookup.

> Minor correction and update:

> NYC _used_ to have a kind-of flat rate service [a]
> for residential water users. You paid a fee based
> on your frontage (size of your property) _and_
> the number of faucets per the plans on file
> with the building department.

> [a] kind of like the kind-of flat
> rates for phone service, I guess...

> Beginning about two decades ago all new residential hookups were
> metered, and bit by bit all the older ones have been switched over as
> well.

> As a bit of a side trivia, NYC customers actually pay roughly _twice_
> the metered rate since there's a corresponding sewer fee. There's a
> small group of homeowners who have their own septic tanks and are
> exempt from that -- if they know to apply ...

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Do you mean to tell me septic tanks are
> allowed in New York City? Here in Independence, KS, _everyone_ has to
> be hooked to the sewer, with no exceptions. Outside the city limits
> (that area which is known as 'rural Independence') is a different
> matter. Most of them are _not_ hooked to the sewer, but they are
> hooked to the water, and many of them complain about the cost of
> 'rural water' which is much more expensive than 'city water'. I cannot
> believe there are places and communities so backward that septic tanks
> are allowed, except by default in small rural areas. But NYC? Not even
> in Chicago do you see that any longer.

Don't bet money on that! <grin>

There are houses on well and septic tank within 1/2 mile of Golf Mill
shopping center. Properties selling in the $150-200K price-range.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Okay, I won't bet any money on that.
Actually, I want to thank you for giving me _yet another reason_ why I
would not want to any longer live in the Chicago area. A two hundred
thousand dollar home with inadequate plumbing arrangements is really
sad. I guess they can get that much money for those houses since
'everyone knows' that life in a big city is such a wonderful, great
thing. After all, why would anyone want to live in a small rural
community when you could instead have a bunch of corrupted politicians
in charge of things, a high crime rate, etc. Not only could I _not_
afford to live in a two hundred thousand dollar home, nor even rent a
tiny room in such, I certainly would not want to be where someone like
the inerrant Mayor Daley was always breathing on me. I can only hope
the dorks there were smart enough to figure out to draw their drinking
water _upstream_ from wherever they put their outhouse or septic tank.
PAT]

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: NYC Phone Rates, was: Sid Ceasar and Phones in Comedy"
Go to Previous message: John Levine: "Re: Flat Rate Water, was: Verizon Complaints About EVDO"
May be in reply to: Danny Burstein: "Flat Rate Water, was: Verizon Complaints About EVDO"