TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Stock Market Ticker Tape Machines?

Re: Stock Market Ticker Tape Machines?

Reed (reedh@rmi.net)
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 03:35:41 GMT

Jim Haynes wrote:

>> In article <telecom24.364.8@telecom-digest.org>,
>> <hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com> wrote:

>>> I was wondering what kind of machine, if any, replaced the classic
>>> glass-dome model and continued to produce a tape showing trades.

> (Guess I missed the original message, or I would have replied.)

> The glass-bell-jar ticker was replaced ca. 1930 by a machine made by
> Teletype. It used a six-level start-stop code and printed using a
> type wheel. I would have to look this up, but think the speed was 600
> letters per minute, which works out to 100 wpm. The glass bell jar
> tickers continued to be used by Western Union to report baseball
> scores as late as circa 1950. Sports score reporting was a service of
> W.U.; the customers for the service were mostly bookies and other
> gamblers.

> W.U. made some tape printers for telegrams using the basic mechanism
> of the 1930 ticker; this was called the 401-A printer. Teletype made
> a low-cost page printer in the late 1930s using much of the same
> technology; this was the Model 26. The ticker had no model number.

> Those tickers where replaced circa 1965 by a new Teletype ticker
> operating at 900 chars/min and often called the "900" ticker for that
> reason. It used technology under development for the Model 37 page
> printer; but within the Bell System it was called the Model 28 ticker
> even though it had little in common with the Model 28 equipment line.
> I guess they wanted to reserve Model 37 for the new page printer. The
> 900 ticker used the same 6-level code as the earlier ticker.

> This ticker could be considered the last successful Teletype product
> of the almost-all-mechanical genre. The Model 37 and Model 38 page
> printers achieved few sales and never got completely debugged.
> Everything after that used a lot of electronics instead of complicated
> mechanisms.

> jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

Check some pictures of these at
http://claussstudios.bizland.com/realticker2.chtml

--reed

Go to Next message: Rich Greenberg: "Re: How Long Can a Telephone Extension Cord Be?"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "TiVo Launches Video Download Trial With IFC"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page