TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Hiroshima Marks 60th Anniversary of Atomic Bomb Attack

Re: Hiroshima Marks 60th Anniversary of Atomic Bomb Attack

jtaylor (jtaylor@deletethis.hfx.andara.com)
Fri, 12 Aug 2005 07:29:33 -0300

Andrew Hastings <abh@nospam.acm.org> wrote in message

> According to Edward Teller as quoted by John McCarthy, the
> miscalculation may have been intentional.

> See http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/teller.html.

> -Andrew

I knew that -- but Heisenberg may have been the only one who also did,
at the time. That the decision makers had/were given the wrong info
doesn't change the fact that the Germans were in no way "close to
having the bomb".

> jtaylor wrote:

>> Tony P. <kd1s@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net> wrote in message

>>> The Germans were pretty much on their way to having their own atomic
>>> weapons.

>> The stuff I've read (Farm Hall transcripts, for instance) says no,
>> they were working on a pile, not bombs. They miscalculated the amount
>> of fissionable material necessary and so thought they could not

>> a) get enough;
>> b) if not a), get such a big bomb to anywhere it would do them any good.

Go to Next message: Paul W. Schleck: "Re: Urgent Help Needed With Internet Explorer IE 6.0"
Go to Previous message: mc: "Re: Don't Forget Peter Jennings'... Flaw"
May be in reply to: Eric Talmadge: "Hiroshima Marks 60th Anniversary of Atomic Bomb Attack"