TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Europe Zips Lips; U.S. Sells ZIPs - New York Times

Re: Europe Zips Lips; U.S. Sells ZIPs - New York Times

Phil Earnhardt (pae@dim.com)
Sun, 07 Aug 2005 23:44:56 -0600

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 14:15:43 -0400, Monty Solomon <monty@roscom.com>
wrote:

> So far, American companies including financial services giants like
> Bank of America, Citigroup and MasterCard, and national retailers like
> DSW shoes and Ralph Lauren Polo, have announced data compromises. All
> told, the personal information of more than 50 million consumers has
> been lost, stolen and even sold to thieves.

I think this analysis is missing the forest for the trees. The larger
failure is that the validity of our identity is being held in the
secrecy of a few numbers rather than a challenge-response system.

If a challenge-response system were in place for the approval of
credit card transactions (and applicaitons for new credit, changes of
address, etc.), things like credit card nubmers would rapidly lose
their value as a target for thieves.

--phil

Go to Next message: Daniel AJ Sokolov: "Re: How Do I Find GSM Coverage in the US?"
Go to Previous message: Danny Burstein: "Pay Phone Providers"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Europe Zips Lips; U.S. Sells ZIPs - New York Times"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page