TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: UN Panel Presents Four Internet Options

Re: UN Panel Presents Four Internet Options

Garrett Wollman (wollman@khavrinen.csail.mit.edu)
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 15:50:16 UTC

In article <telecom24.323.2@telecom-digest.org>, Aoife White
<ap@telecom-digest.org> wrote:

> He stressed the sentiment dates back to the Geneva summit and was not
> meant as an attack on the United States or a direct response to the
> U.S. Department of Commerce statement two weeks ago that it intends
> to keep ultimate authority for authorizing changes to the list of
> Internet suffixes, such as ".com."

Of course, the US Department of Commerce has no such authority and
never has.

That authority has always resided in individual system administrators
who configure name servers for their sites or networks, and not in any
government agency.

Garrett A. Wollman | As the Constitution endures, persons in every
wollman@csail.mit.edu | generation can invoke its principles in their own
Opinions not those | search for greater freedom.
of MIT or CSAIL. | - A. Kennedy, Lawrence v. Texas, 539 U.S. 558 (2003)

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I've had people tell me they thought
that '.com' was the government abbreviation for 'Commerce Department'.
PAT]

Go to Next message: John Smith: "Re: Don't Let Data Theft Happen to You"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Who Really Controls Internet?"
May be in reply to: Aoife White: "UN Panel Presents Four Internet Options"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page