TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Verizon VOIP Questions

Re: Verizon VOIP Questions

Isaiah Beard (sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com)
Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:49:19 -0400

snow wrote:

> I subscribe to both Verizon local telephone and its DSL service. I was
> on their website and read about VOIP broadband phone service. I am now
> considering dropping the regular landline phone and trying out VOIP
> service.

Despite Verizon's announcements to the contrary, it appears that you
still need to have your voice landline connected in order to continue
having DSL. I discovered this after getting fed up with Comcast's lack
of reliability in my area, and am in the middle of (very reluctantly)
getting DSL put back in.

You could, however, drop your voice service down to the absolute bare
minimum. In my state (NJ), Verizon has a "low use message rate" tier
that costs around $6.00 a month, and basically provides dial tone and
nothing else. No calling features, no regional or national long
distance, and only about 20 "message units" are included for outgoing
local calls (a messuage unit is a local call lasting 5 minutes or
less).

It's about as low as you can get if you don't actually intend to make
calls on taht line, and at the very least, you'll at least know you
can use it to dial 911 if the power and/or broadband internet service
fails.

E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Go to Next message: Isaiah Beard: "Re: Amid Crisis, Phones Jammed, But Text Messages Worked"
Go to Previous message: mc: "Well, Duh... Re: Mixing Blogging With Work Can Lead to Unemployment"
May be in reply to: snow: "Verizon VOIP Questions"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page