TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cellular Jamming? Think Again.

Re: Cellular Jamming? Think Again.

Carl Zwanzig (zbang@radix.net)
Fri, 01 Jul 2005 01:19:40 -0000

John McHarry <jmcharry@comcast.net> wrote:

> The law should be modestly amended to declare those using cellphones
> in theaters, churches, and other places of public assembly outlaws
> subject to pummeling by the inconvenienced other inmates of such
> assembly. Exception might be made for surviving, on duty, emergency
> personnel. ;^)

Unfortunately, it's proven difficult, if not impossible, to legistate
taste, politeness, tact, or morality. OTOH, I wouldn't mind a slide
flashing up on the screen saying "Turn your d*nm phone off!!" the
first time one rings.

z!

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Our local movie theatre, the Independence
Cinema (actually four areas to view four different movies which are
playing at any given time stresses the 'no cell phones' rule quite
extensively before each movie starts (as part of the coming attractions,
cartoons and messages from local advertisers.) They show a movie patron
smoking a cigarette, his feet on the seat in front of him, and talking
on a cell phone; all of which, they explain, are no-no. All three of
these activities are inconsiderate of other patrons. "This will be your
only warning; If you do these things, we will be forced to ask you to
leave the theatre (here we see a manager/usher/whomever approach the
offensive patron and lead him away), and that would ruin the movie for
you, your friends and our other patrons. HAVE CELL PHONES TURNED OFF
OR SILENCED. If you must make/receieve an emergency call, please deal
with it in the lobby." PAT]