TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: DSL Speed

Re: DSL Speed

Tony P. (kd1s@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net)
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:34:12 -0400

In article <telecom24.287.9@telecom-digest.org>, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
says:

> Choreboy wrote:

>> Couldn't technology analogous to a megaphone be applied to dialup as
>> well as DSL?

> Yes.

>> Ah, crosstalk! It seems to me that if DSL uses the same wire dialup
>> used, the same crosstalk will be present.

> Not necessarily. Remember AM and FM radio waves go through the same
> air, but AM is much more sensitive to lightning and other static than
> is FM.

> DSL service may be arrangeed to minimize crosstalk.

You've hit it on the head. Both AM and FM use radio bandwidth, but
each uses a different form of modulation. AM stands for Amplitude
Modulation -- the amplitude is how high a particular sine wave rises or
falls. FM is frequency modulation, the carrier frequency varies
depending on what signal is being fed to it.

It's sort of the same setup on DSL with the data signals occupying a
higher frequency.

Go to Next message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: DSL Speed"
Go to Previous message: daniel.rhee@gmail.com: "3G-324M Protocol Implementation"
May be in reply to: Choreboy: "DSL Speed"