TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: '80' Country Code

Re: '80' Country Code

Robert Bonomi (bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com)
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:23:24 -0000

Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 09:11:42 -0000, bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com
> (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

>> In article <telecom24.277.1@telecom-digest.org>, Geoff
>> <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>>> I was looking at my call logs and have an international call from
>>> Spain and another country. The number for the other country starts
>>> with '803' but there is no country with an '80' and '803' dialing
>>> code. Any ideas where the call came from?

>> Best guess: somewhere around Helsinki, Finland.

> That is a pretty wild guess considering that country codes beginning
> with an 8 are usually in the far east.

> Finland's country code is 358!

No shit, sherlock.

Now, how many digits are displayed on the caller ID?

How many digits does Finland use for local numbeers?

What is the 'city code' for Helsinki?

Can you *GUESS* what happens when you take an 8-digit local number,
prefix it with the Helsinki city code ('0'), prefix that with country
code 358, and show only the last 10 digits?

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Or maybe it was _area code_ 803,
> which I think is somewhere in the Carolinas? PAT]

Correct, NPA 803 is the Columbia SC vicinity.

OP said, however, it was an international call. If we assume he
_didn't_ know what he was talking about, there is no reason to assume
that the digits were reported accurately either, and thus, the call
could have come from (literally) _anywhere_. *grin*

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: And what if we assume that _you_
don't know what you are talking about either, Sherlock. Then does
anything mean anything at all? PAT]

Go to Next message: Choreboy: "Re: DSL Speed"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Is it Possible to Buy a Cell Phone With no Plan?"
May be in reply to: Geoff: "'80' Country Code"