TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cell Phone Rental in Europe

Re: Cell Phone Rental in Europe

Joseph (JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com)
Sun, 12 Jun 2005 07:44:57 -0700

On 11 Jun 2005 09:39:40 -0700, marty@ceflorida.com wrote:

> Traveling to Greece and Turkey (Istanbul)and am seeking a reliable and
> competitively priced company to rent a cell phone from. Would also
> like a recommendation as to which phone I should select.

You do not state how long you will be in Greece and Turkey, but in any
event if it is at least a couple weeks you would be advised to *not*
rent a cell phone. Rental rates for cell phones are exhorbitant.
With what you spend on rentals you could buy your own equipment and
buy local prepaid SIMs (internal phone cards) for the phone during
your time in Greece and Turkey.

A used dual band handset which you would need in Greece and Turkey can
likely be found on eBay for $50 or less if you're willing to settle
for used equipment. Personally I'd recommend a Nokia unit such as the
Nokia 3310/3410 or 3510. Prepaid in Turkey can be had for as little
as an initial outlay of 13 Euros. In Greece you can get a prepaid SIM
for anywhere between 9 and 19 Euros and topups for 5 Euros or so.
It's likely that you'll pay around $20/day for the privilege of
renting a cell phone. It's much smarter to buy a second-hand phone
and either save it for future trips or sell it when you get home.

Check out http://prepaidgsm.net

Go to Next message: John Levine: "Re: Cell Phone Rental in Europe"
Go to Previous message: Joseph: "Re: Cellphone Curiosity"
May be in reply to: marty@ceflorida.com: "Cell Phone Rental in Europe"