TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Forwarding SMS Messages

Forwarding SMS Messages

Chris Holst (cdh@aquick.org)
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 09:34:39 EDT

In considering wiring a new office, some interesting technical ideas
have been bounced around, and I'd like to get some feedback about
feasibility of implementing them. Input from the wise folk who read
the Digest would be most appreciated.

Most users will be mobile, i.e. not at the end of physical extensions
in the office much of the time. -- This means we'd like a system we
can program forwarding of numbers into, such that folks can point
their desk phone at their cell phone. This is possbile in PBXs like
Asterisk, right?

We'd like a rationally planned numbering scheme for departments and
specialties and such. Again, internal PBX programming, right,
associating the DID lines with extensions?

We'd like to have our people have only one number on their card ... so
is it possible to program a PBX to process and forward SMS data sent
on to the associated cell phone? This appears to the sticking point.
SMS is useful, and we'd not like to miss out on it to implement this
system if we don't have to.

Chris

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Chris, just a non-telecom,
non-technical question if I may: Are you, or your family related in
some way to the classical music composer, Gustav Holst? For me, just
a curiosity. PAT]

Go to Next message: John Mayson: "Can You Disable Text Messaging?"
Go to Previous message: Eric: "GSM and Roaming"
May be reply: B.M. Wright: "Re: Forwarding SMS Messages"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page