TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: 25 cps Power, was: Tie Lines was Re: Foreign Exchange Lines

Re: 25 cps Power, was: Tie Lines was Re: Foreign Exchange Lines

Wesrock@aol.com
Mon, 30 May 2005 20:26:52 EDT

In a message dated Sun, 29 May 2005 21:58:31 UTC, Danny Burstein
dannyb@panix.com> writes:

> Parts of some passenger stations tapped into this 25 cycle grid for
> use by the incandescent lamps. This led to quite noticable flickering
> whenever the temperature dropped ...

As a teenager, in the 1940s, I stayed with my folks at the Fred Harvey
Hotel in Gallup, New Mexico. I pondered about why the flickering
(more noticeable from the corner of your eye than looking directly at
it, then realized the power supply was no doubt from the Santa Fe
Railroad facilities adjacent, probably installed years before Gallup
had commercial power.

I'm not sure about the relationship to temperature. This was in the
middle of summer and there was certainly no drop in the temperature.

(Fred Harvey and the Santa Fe Railroad were associated from some time
in the late 1800s.)

Wes Leatherock
wesrock@aol.com

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Remember also the "Harvey Girls" who
were like 'stewardesses' on the Santa Fe trains and the 1940's movie
about the Harvey Girls, and they were always singing that song about
the railroad ... how did it go? Something about " ... my day, and the
Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe ..." It was a very famous movie in
the 1940's and a very popular song. PAT]n

Go to Next message: John Levine: "Re: 25 Hz power Re: Tie Lines was Re: Foreign Exchange Lines"
Go to Previous message: AES: "Re: 25 cps Power, was: Tie Lines was Re: Foreign Exchange Lines"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page