TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Thinking About VOIP

Re: Thinking About VOIP

Tim@Backhome.org
Mon, 23 May 2005 03:27:51 -0700

John Levine wrote:

>> I'm thinking about subscribing to one of the many VOIP services
>> (Vonage, Callvantage, etc.) and have a few questions.

>> Are any of these good enough to replace a POTS line? I'll be using it
>> over Verizon's new Fios service.

> I don't think so, but it depends what you expect from a POTS line.
> None are as reliable as POTS, both because they depend on your ISP,
> and router all working, and because they all have the occasional
> flakeout. (Phone companies have spent the past 130 years learning how
> to make phones reliable, so it's not surprising that it's taking a
> while for VoIP to catch up.) Other than Packet8, none of them offer
> real 911, so you'd best have a cell phone for emergencies that you
> keep charged and working.

Why would you recommend a cell phone for real 911? In California
where I live 911 goes to the state highway patrol, which is useless
unless you are on a state highway. And, wireless 911 doesn't have
forced line hold or delivery of service address.

If E911 is important, it seems the only game is wireline, and wireline
provided by the primary LEC, not a cable company, or such.

Go to Next message: Lou Jahn: "Re: Thinking About VOIP"
Go to Previous message: Telecom dailyLead from USTA: "Wireless-services growth slows in Europe, Japan"
May be in reply to: William Cousert: "Thinking About VOIP"