TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Vonage Number Transfer

Re: Vonage Number Transfer

Nate (nnord@maxitd.com)
19 May 2005 06:22:42 -0700

Nate wrote:

> Well ... it's been 2 1/2 months now waiting on my phone number to
> transfer to Vonage. I'm not sure who's holding up the transfer but
> this is ridiculous. Vonage claims it's not their fault (probably
> isn't) but my question is, who do I complain to? My current carrier
> (MCI) doesn't want to hear about it and, again, Vonage claims it's not
> their fault.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Well again, like the other day, in this
> case MCI is _probably not_ the underlying carrier, but probably just
> a UNI-P operation. Like the guy using AT&T for 'local service' the
> other day, more than likely MCI in this instance is at the mercy of
> whomever the 'real' carrier of record in your area is. Southwestern
> Bell perhaps? When Vonage put in the transfer request to MCI, then
> MCI in turn had to tell the 'actual carrier' about it. What does
> Vonage say other than 'not our fault'? Can you get them to audit or
> trace the transaction for you? You also said 'MCI does not want to
> hear about it'. Can you be more specific? Does your number actually
> _belong_ to you? Do you have that part of it under control? Please
> give us a few more details. PAT]

I called MCI again and they say there is absolutely no reason why the
number can't be transferred. Vonage says they have no idea why it's
not being transferred so, again, who do I call? I asked MCI if they
were the actual carrier or if there was a third party involved and the
rep said that MCI was the actual carrier... but the guy didn't sound
very sure of himself. My guess is that there is a third party and
that's where it's being held up. Not sure what I can do at this point
other than wait ...

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: If MCI is telling you there is
'absolutely no reason why the number cannot be transferred' then
tell them to please transfer it while you are waiting on the line
attempting to audit/trace the procedure. I can assure you that MCI
was NOT the 'actual carrier'. When phone numbers and area codes, etc
were first assigned, there was no such 'phone company' as MCI. The
actual carrier is one of the Bells, no doubt. I assume your Vonage
line is working with its own number which is what you wish to have
transferred. PAT]

Go to Next message: Dean M.: "Re: Vonage Changes 911 to Opt-Out"
Go to Previous message: Jen Saylor: "Re: AT&T Licensed the Transistor For Free"
May be in reply to: Nate: "Vonage Number Transfer"