TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: AT&T - Cingular - Alltel; They Broke MY Contract!

Re: AT&T - Cingular - Alltel; They Broke MY Contract!

Steve (sfsokc@softhome.net)
17 May 2005 20:10:03 -0700

TELECOM Digest Editor noted in response to the original writer
about whom Steve Sobol later complained, saying:

>> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I think what you will find is the
>> contract you signed at some point or another expressly gives _them_
>> the right to assign your contract. It did not give _you_ any rights
>> like that however; just AT&T. PAT]

> Yes, the cell phone contracts generally allow companies to assign
> contracts to third parties. Read your original contract.

I expected this type of answer. And I'm sure _you_ read through your
entire contract letter-by-letter, yes? You miss my point though. I
know AT&T had the right to transfer the contract when purchased by
Cingular. What I don't like is the regulatory issue that then forced
Cingular to divest to some "third party" (in this case, Alltel). What
I am expecting is for them to at least continue the options I've had
with AT&T. If you compare Alltel's offerings, you will find that
Cingular offers much better plans, as did AT&T I believe ... What irks
me the most is how Cingular originally lead consumers to believe all
AT&T customers were being adopted into the new family. Heck, my phone
even still displays "Cingular"!

I look forward to the day when consumers have more power of choice and
are not locked into long-term contracts. This is not a case where a
company is giving its customers what they want. Under THESE
circumstances, we should have the RIGHT to change to another company.
We did not choose Alltel. The contracts need to be changed
industry-wide. Period.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: No, I did _not_ read through my
cellular phone contract totally, but that's because I know the rules
of the game: Telcos and other large corporations have rights; you as
a customer have the right to pay your bill on time, to shut up and
not bellyache so much. I do quite agree with your premise however.
Consumers _should_ get a lot more 'rights' than we generally have.
Or, as AT&T, Cingular, Southwestern Bell and even Alltel would say,
"Why don't you sue us before we can wreck your credit for non-payment?"
Take a knife and cut 'it' off before they have a chance to stick it
in you ... yeah sure ... Most of us cannot afford to do other than cook our
carrots and pee in the same pot (very unsanitary!!) let alone hire
some lawyer to look after us. What's the point in reading the
contract if you know what it says anyway? PAT]

Go to Next message: Jack Decker: "VOIP in Public-Safety Showdown"
Go to Previous message: Scott Kramer: "Re: Vonage Improvement: No More Dial 1+"
May be in reply to: Steve: "AT&T - Cingular - Alltel; They Broke MY Contract!"