TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Will 911 Difficulties Derail VoIP?

Re: Will 911 Difficulties Derail VoIP?

lookemintheye (hloeser@calltower.com)
12 May 2005 10:25:52 -0700

Not all Service Providers are scrambling. The better business
oriented VOIP service providers are diligently maintaining phone
location databases that interface with their switches and provide
correct and normal location info to 911 dispatchers.

I am with CallTower, who is a 5 year old VOIP unified communications
company. We are oriented toward companies with 11 - 1000 employees and
in our agreement with our customers, is a clause to be initialed that
the customer must inform us if they move one of our Cisco phones to
other premises. And when our customers move office premises, we
update our location database and do it with pride and accuracy.

While our service product is designed to deliver Fortune 500 feature
sets to smaller businesses, and our high value product allows us to
incur the expense of accurately maintaining our 911 database, we would
welcome strong guidelines that require others to do the same. The
cost of inaccurate (or missing) 911 location info is not only
potentially life-threatening to VOIP users, it loads additional cost
onto the emergency response system.

Thanks for listening.

harris