TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Book Review: Goodbye to Privacy

Re: Book Review: Goodbye to Privacy

Marcus Didius Falco (falco_marcus_didius@yahoo.co.uk)
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:33:29 -0400

Lisa Hancock <hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com> responded to Re: Book Review:
Goodbye to Privacy on 13 Apr 2005 09:45:35 -0700:

> Marcus Didius Falco wrote quoting the book review:

>> Goodbye to Privacy
>> By WILLIAM SAFIRE
>> NO PLACE TO HIDE
>> By Robert O'Harrow Jr.
>> CHATTER
>> Dispatches From the Secret World of Global Eavesdropping.
>> By Patrick Radden Keefe.

>> In the past five years, what most of us only recently thought of as
>> 'nobody's business' has become the big business of everybody's
>> business.

> This has been going on much longer than merely "five years" -- more
> like at least 30 years. The big three credit bureaus have been around
> a long time.

The credit bureaus have been around a long time. The data brokers are
new.

All or almost all the recent breaches have been with these data
brokers.

There is some thought to regulating them as credit bureaus, subject to
increased safeguards. I think it's in Pennsylvania.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Actually, the brokers are not
absolutely 'new'; they have been around a few years also, but no
where near as long as the credit bureaus. The brokers got their start
by selling the unprotected data on credit bureau reports. The stuff
above the perforated line (the address history, the social security
number and certain other information has never been protected; only
the 'trades' -- the creditors' experience -- has ever been protected
information. PAT]

Go to Next message: Linc Madison: "Last Laugh! When Marketing Surveys Get Off-Track"
Go to Previous message: Wesrock@aol.com: "Concerns Over ID Theft Mount / LexisNexis Breach Widens"
May be in reply to: Marcus Didius Falco: "Book Review: Goodbye to Privacy"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page