TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Looking For Old Dialite Video

Re: Looking For Old Dialite Video

Tim@Backhome.org
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 05:20:48 -0700

Jim wrote:

> About 20+ years ago, when I worked for GTE, we had a list of video
> tapes we could request from GTE's main headquarters in Stamford,
> Conneticut. Most of the tapes were educational or safety tapes, meant
> to be shown for training and during employee meetings.

> But I remeber one tape I requested that was a short tongue in cheek
> video to "educate" the general public about where dial tone comes
> from. The tape started out showing a rock quarry, mining type
> operation. It went on to explain how "dialite" was extracted from the
> rocks and refined into dial tone. I don't know if dialite is the word
> used in the video, but it was something important sounding.

> Has anyone ever seen this, or know how I might get a copy of it again?
> Thanks.

> Jim

As bad as those GTE steppers got in the LA outer areas in the 1960s
and 1970s they could have just as well mined dial tone out of a rock
quarry. ;-)

Back then when I'd see a GTE service truck on the road, I would
comment, "Ah, another search for the missing dial tone."

Go to Next message: Paul Coxwell: "Re: Study: Consumers Oppose Cell Phones in Flight"
Go to Previous message: Justin Time: "Re: Walkie Talkie"
May be in reply to: Jim: "Looking For Old Dialite Video"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page