TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Wired: Word From on High: Jam Cell Calls

Re: Wired: Word From on High: Jam Cell Calls

Marcus Didius Falco (falco_marcus_didius@yahoo.co.uk)
Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:21:22 -0400

jtaylor <jtaylor@deletethis.hfx.andara.com> wrote, quoting John McHarry:

> John McHarry <jmcharry@comcast.net> wrote in message

>> On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 16:45:51 -0700, Lisa Minter wrote:

>>> Word From on High: Jam Cell Calls

>>> Four churches in Mexico have unobtrusively installed Israeli-made
>>> cell-phone jammers to thwart those who don't seem to understand they
>>> should turn the things off during services or weddings. They're not
>>> the only ones to install the jammers.

>> This is kind of old news. Jammers are illegal in the US, but if I were
>> building or extensively remodeling a theatre, church, etc., I would
>> make it into a Faraday cage. Done right, it is also good insulation.

> And so we have a situation where it is not the act that is illegal,
> but the method.

> Would those who so quickly hope for a lawsuit to arise from a jammer
> interfering with an emergency wireless telephone call also claim that
> a building so constructed would similarly be grounds for action?

No, because that is "passive." Most modern office buildings have so
much steel and wire in them that they are nearly impervious. My
doctor's office is in a building that's so tight I often can't listen
to the radio, let alone use my cell phone. It's a real nuisance when
I'm at the pharmacy picking stuff up. If I have to talk to my wife, I
have to go out to the sidewalk.

Go to Next message: Fred Atkinson: "Re: Obituary: Schiavo Dies After Feeding Tube Removed"
Go to Previous message: Fred Atkinson: "Re: Prison Cell Phone Scandal"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page