TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Time for the Recording Industry to Face the Music

Re: Time for the Recording Industry to Face the Music

Joseph (JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com)
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 06:09:36 -0800

On 28 Mar 2005 10:00:52 -0800, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> People have a Constitutional right (and a moral one too) to be
> compensated for their creative efforts. Like it or not, the recording
> industry provides a conduit for artists to distribute their works to a
> widespread general public and be compensated accordingly.

The only problem with that is that the artists *aren't* generally
accorded much compensation for their work. The majority of the monies
taken in for recordings, video etc. does not go to artists but rather
goes to the recording companies, distributors and others. Of that $18
you're paying for that CD the artists are getting literally *pennies*
of that pie. You'll pardon me if I don't shed crocodile tears for the
"poor old" recording industry. Rather than to try and embrace the new
technology they (as they've done before) fight it tooth and nail.
They believe going on as they have for the last 100 years is the way
to go. Hell no we won't go is their mantra when called to get with
the times and adjust their product model. They'd rather go after
people for their (recording companies) perceived loss of revenue.
Perhaps if the recording companies weren't so greedy charging $18 for
a disc of music and perhaps if the recording companies shared a bigger
portion of profits from CDs people would see it differently.

Go to Next message: Lisa Hancock: "Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"
Go to Previous message: John Levine: "Re: Lingo Referral"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Time for the Recording Industry to Face the Music"