TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Mobile IP Networks

Re: Mobile IP Networks

Jon Gauthier (jon.gauthier@ieee.deletethis.org)
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 09:44:07 -0500

Rick,

Can you describe what standard is used to change the IP address of the
mobile router's rf link back to the bus depot? I have a similar
problem involving a mobile LAN, not just a single mobile node, which
is what Mobile IP.

(http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~jain/refs/wir_refs.htm#mobileip-rfcs)
was designed for. Moving a whole LAN around means your gateway router
external interface's IP address is always changing.

For our solution, our developers hacked the Linux Mobile IP to support
IPSec for registration (of course, the advertisements are still
broadcast in the clear). What I'm not clear on is how they maintain
routing updates and integrity (I haven't seen that part of the code
yet). And my talks with Cisco indicate they're toying with different
methods of doing mobile adhoc routing, but this scenario is really
mobile infrastructure routing where the "access point" moves around
from cell to cell.

Any pointers on how you implement it would be appreciated!

rick.lenhart@gmail.com wrote:

> I can help, I have a great Cisco based solution for you.
> rlenhart@icinetworks.net www.miptac.com

> 007 wrote:

>> I need to investigate some solutions for a true mobile wireless
>> networks and I'm looking for anyone's input.

>> The situation is as follows: I need to design a network that will
>> supporting IP traffic on a public bus transport system. Wireless
>> terminals on each bus will communicate through a router onboard each
>> bus (ie each bus is a mobile wireless LAN). At the bus depot there is
>> a gateway for internet and telephony. The range of each LAN on each
>> bus is limited to no more than 3km and there are no more than 10
>> busses within the network.

>> What are some considerations for the planning, design and architecture
>> of such a network?

>> Thanks.

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"
Go to Previous message: Rob: "Re: Phoning 0870 and 0844 UK Numbers Out of Free Minutes"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page