TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: More 'Tweens' Going Mobile; Long-Term Health Risks Unclear

Re: More 'Tweens' Going Mobile; Long-Term Health Risks Unclear

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
24 Mar 2005 10:26:57 -0800

Monty Solomon wrote:

> By Associated Press | March 21, 2005

> CHICAGO -- There were two things 11-year-old Patty Wiegner really,
> really, really wanted for Christmas. One was a furry, playful dog
> that's now filling her parents' home with the sound of barking. The
> other gift makes a different kind of noise -- it has a ring tone that
> mimics rapper 50 Cent's hit song 'Candy Shop.'

My initial knee-jerk reaction would be to object to kids having cell
phones. But then I remember my teenage days and it seemed the phone
was attached to my ear. And in my parents' day, the phones in the
corner candy stores were quite busy.

However, this was when I was in high school, not elementary school.

I'm not so thrilled about the idea of "tweens" or younger kids having
cell phones. (A friend gave his 9-year-old one last Christmas.)

Of course, these days kids are far more isolated than we were. We
were in the city or more built-up suburbs where there were plenty of
friends within walking distance. Today kids have to be driven to
practically any kind of activity otherwise they're isolated. (Also
parents want more control over their kids than ours did.)

Go to Next message: Isaiah Beard: "Re: Cell Phone Jammer For Sale MONIX MGB-1S"
Go to Previous message: Dave Garland: "Re: Our Telephonic Primacy"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page